Saturday, February 4, 2012

Eye Surgery! Ouch! But Independence is Worth The Pain

I've had two eye surgeries in the last 10 months, and take it from me when I say they are no fun!

The first one I had was in March 2011, and it was to decompress my eyes -- both of them!

I had a brain tumor in 2005 and had thyroid disease, and both caused my eyes to protrude from their sockets. It looked ugly, but more importantly it cause my eyes discomfort as too much air was getting to them. I also had a slight case of double vision. I was no longer able my car. I was at the mercy of others for transportation. No fun!


Listen, I've been driving for more than 30 years, and I love and cherish my independence. To have to wait for someone to drive me around, and have to often beg for someone to drive me around was unbearable. I couldn't even go to the store to buy myself a candy bar or a bottle of aspirin. Someone had to go for me, or take me.


Hated it!

I had that surgery at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, on 9th and Walnut Streets in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and the 1-hour surgery was performed by Dr. Jacqueline Carrasco -- who is affiliated with Wills Eye Institute. The surgery took about 2 hours, and I had to spend the night in the hospital. Talk about pain!!!!!!!!!!!! I know I got on those nurses' nerves, but I didn't give a crap. They were instructed to give me 1 mg. of oxycontin  every four hours. What a joke!

That might have been enough for most people, but I suffer from chronic pain due to multiple sclerosis, so I use Percocet on the regular -- so I've built up a tolerance for pain meds!

When they released me they upped the oxycontin dosage to 3 mg., and that seemed to do it. I was still in pain, but it was tolerable.

It took me about two weeks to recover from that surgery, but when I looked in the mirror I looked like the old Ke-Ke. Whew!

Only problem was when I looked in the mirror I saw two Ke-Ke's! My double vision was about ten times worse! There was no way I could get behind the wheel of a car.

So, I had to go back to Dr. Carraso to get additional surgery to correct my double vision. It was done on Jan 31st, and this time I was able to have local anesthesia (twilight!), and was able to go home the same day. The pain was bad, but not as bad as last time, and I was able to keep under control with 5 mg. Percocet, which is what I normally take anyway.

The good news? The double vision seems to be gone! I'll be able to start driving my car again, and just the thought of my upcoming independence is keeping me on a high!

Hurray for me, guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad u are doing much better. Sending u blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember, no pain, no gain. Life is much better with full view!

    ReplyDelete