Thursday, June 21, 2012

Book Promotion for An Angry Ass Black Woman 2

So, okay . . . I've been giving out postcards like crazy, but what more should I be doing to let people know that my new book, An Angry Ass Black Woman, will be released on October 2nd?

Yes, that's right . . . October 2nd. Some people may think it's too early to get the promotional machine in gear, but I SO beg to differ.

Anyway, I'm now getting together my media list. I'm listing all of the newspapers, magazines, television, and radio media outlets I hope to use for promotion and doing my research on them. Many people think that if they want to get on a particular radio show they should contact the deejay or talk-show host, when actually it's the producer of the show whom you need to contact for bookings. The same with television shows. How do you find out the name of the producer? Easy. You just call up the station and you ask the receptionist, and she'll also likely give you a direct number to reach that producer.

For magazines and newspapers, I have to decide which ones I would hit up for a feature article, and which ones I would hit up for a book review. Ocassionally you can get both, and you should always try, but if you have to choose, know which one ahead of time you'd prefer. And remember, if you're going to be doing a signing in the city of that magazine or newspaper, make sure they put in the story (feature or review) the place and time of the signing.


Montly magazines have a lead time of 3-4 months, so you want to get your material to them as quickly as possible. Make sure you get them a galley -- or advance reading copy -- of your book, and include a press kit if possible, but if not . . . at least a press kit.

It's June 21st, and I already have my media list together. Four months ahead of time. And I've send my galleys out with a press release to the monthly magazines. Cross your finger for me that they'll do a feature or a review!

And I hope they'll also do it for you!

Karen

check out an excerpt from my upcoming book, An Angry-Ass Black Woman at www.anangryassblackwoman.com

No comments:

Post a Comment