Thursday, July 12, 2012

Texted or Texted . . . how should the word be pronounced?


Texted or Texted . . . that is the question. 
Whether tis Nobler to the ear to suffer
The Slings and Arrows of insecure people
Or to take courage and correctly pronounce the word with two syllables.
 Text - ted. Not Texttttttt. 

Look.  I grew up in the sixties and seventies, and back then "text" was a noun, and never a verb. Like "desk," "text" was always a thing, never an action.

It was only in the late 90's that all of a sudden text went from words on a document to something people do on a cell phone.



As a noun, we never had to worry about past tense. What is the past tense of "desk," after all? But since "text" is now not only a noun, but also a verb, the pronounciation of the past tense "texted" suddenly became an issue.

For years I avoided speaking outloud the past tense of the verb so that I wouldn't have to publicy face the dillemna. Every part of my being wanted to use the two-syllable pronounciation, but the first time I said it outloud a family member looked at me and said, "That sounds so ignorant. If you know better than to say 'like-ted,' why would you think it's okay to 'text-ted,' Karen?"

That did serve to give me pause. For quite a while I mentally rephrased my statements before speaking aloud so as not to commit a grammatical faux pas. If I wanted to say "I texted my daughter and asked her to stop by," I would instead say "I just shot my daughter a quick text and asked her to stop by." 

I didn't want people to think that if I thought "texted" was pronouced "text-ted" I also thought that "liked" was pronounced "like-ted."

But the more I thought about it, the more I rejected the "like-ted/text-ted" argument. And I wanna kick myself for ever having accepted it in the first place.

The reason it's wrong to pronounced liked "like-ted" or looked "look-ted" is because it's simply the wrong pronounciation! The past tense for words that end in the "k" sound is to add a "t" sound to the end of the word. Hiked is pronounced "hikedt" not "hike-ted" just like booked is pronounced "bookt" and not "book-ted." Following that rule, liked and looked would have a one-syllable pronounciation, also. To pronounce any other way is incorrect.

On the other hand, words that end with a "st" sound or made past tense by adding a "ted" to the end of the word. Rested is pronounced "rest-ted" not "restt," and nested is pronounced "nest-ted" not "nestt," bested is pronouced "best-ted."

In fact, MANY (not all, but many) words that end with "t" need to have "ted" tacked on to make the change to past tense. Bat becomes "bat-ted," chat becomes "chat-ted," and part becomes "part-ted." But again, ALL words that end with a "st" sound need that second syllable to become past tense.

"Text" ends with a "kst" sound. I offer that AT BEST the pronounciation is up for grabs, but I believe the correct pronounciation is "text-ted" -- following the "st" rule rather than the "k" rule.

So I finally took a deep breath and announced -- in a room full of people -- that "I just 'text-ted' my nephew and told him to pick up some ice cream to go with the cake." I gave a furtive glance over the crowd to see if anyone had that "I thought she was more intelligent," expression on their face. No one did.

BUT! BUT! BUT . . . someone did say, I've always wondered what the correct pronounciation should be. Text or texted.

I gladly spelled out my reasoning, and almost everyone in the room agreed with me upon hearing it. Many even seem relieved to have the, largely unspoken, argument settled once and for all.

However, one person piped up, "I'm sorry. If we all know it's ignorant for people say 'look-ted' it's ignorant to say 'text-ted.'"

I didn't bother to point out again that 'look-ted' is incorrect, but to say 'text-ted' is no more ignorant than it would be say 'rest-ted.' I just gave her an up and down look, then smiled and plastered a "I thought she was more intelligent that," expression on my face and changed the subject.

I can't wait for technology to come up with a way to make "next" a verb!

13 comments:

  1. The problem is that text was originally a noun not a verb. Now we say texted instead of sent a text message. It seems that we are adding words to the dictionary instead of expecting people to learn proper English!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree w/ Alicia. I just say I sent a text because to me saying texted is improper & I am sick of words being added to the dictionary because individuals simply do not want to use proper english ; for example; now conversate is in the dictionary because people are to rude to learn the english language & acknowledge that it's CONVERSE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe that they actually added "conversate" Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is no excuse for simply accepting bad grammar simply because a lot of people use it.

    However, if we don't accept the fact that text is now a verb what do we call the act of sending a cell phone text?

    We have to face it, advancements in technology has made addition to the English dictionary a much. The word "telephone" was not in the 1776 dictionary, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. most words in the english language derive from other words and over a period of time become knew words (i.e. pen). I don't think it is a movement to use "improper" english.....I just think its a given in our ever-growing tech-society....text is now a verb. As is google, facebook, email, and inbox. A society that is unchanging would be stagnant. The dictionary doesn't regulate our language, it responds to it. Which is why when you look up a word you will find its usage, origin, part of speech, etc. Conversate is the nonstandard form of converse. Ain't is "widely disapproved as nonstandard and more common in the habitual speech of the less educated" (according to Webster). I agree with Ke-Ke with the adding the inflectional ending to text to make it texted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stay away from the word if I can but if I must use it I would say "I text John earlier today"...I dont add an ed or ted to the ending because to me used in that way it implies that it is past tense...

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI, Karen,

    I opt for texted. I'm not sure what the others said as I'm having trouble reading their comments. I figured that you should just add the past tense ending. I just used this form in a novel I'm writing for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. okay . . . I just found out that howjsay.com, which is a free online talking dictionary of English pronunciation, says it with two syllables. You can go to www.howjsay.com to see yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen, I also agree that texted (with two syllables) is the correct pronunciation. Love your blog and I am now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can not wrap my brain around texted... tried and failed :-(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to have to go with Texted (one syllable), just as asked is one syllable; not ask-ed. I'm going to go with the sounds made at the end of the word text which defines the way a noun acting as a verb is pronounced: texted (on syllable) simply sounds better than text-ed. To me Text-ed is up there with input-ed (Ack!!) It just doesn't sound very pleasing to the ear. The only time I would suggest that text-ed would be correct is if it was preceded by have; "I have text-ed him twice." That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it :) Thus it's "I'm going to texted him (one syllable) and I have texted him twice (two syllables).

    ReplyDelete