Friday, December 28, 2012

The Greatest Advice I Can Give A Writer - For What It's Worth


 Here's the thing . . . if you're a writer, you're a writer. 

If you've written a book, you're an author. 

Enuff said, right?
 

Maybe. 

I cringe when I hear writers telling other writers what they HAVE to do in order to be a success. The most important thing a writer needs to do is to be true to his or herself, true to his or her story, and true to his or her characters.


HOWEVER, I cringe even more when I hear writers diss people whose advice they don't agree with. You can disregard advice, you know, without dissing the adviser. Perhaps not all advice is given as a way to offend;, maybe sometimes it's actually as an offer of help? 


I've said before, and I'll say again . . . all writers should forever be students of the craft. And you can't grow without criticism. The trick is to take what you feel applies to you, and gracefully disregard what you believe does not. 


The bigger trick is being objective enough to know the difference. 


We all want to think we're already experts (I think so, everyday, for about five whole minutes!), but when we get to the point when we can say, "Shyt, he can't tell me nothing," then we've made a conscious decision to stunt our own growth.


So, yes . . . always do you, and be true to what you write, but always be open to improve.


That's my advice. 


For what it's worth.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Ms. Karen for writing this post. When I began my writing journey, I'd been giving so much advice that was hard to attain it all. However, I absorbed the good advice and the strong critique for my growth as an author.

    And yes, I'm still and always be, the student to the game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the article and the advice. Its true. I get told a lot that I am not a writer despite the fact that I am published on the internet. And they say that I shouldn't consider myself one either. But its true. If I write then I am a writer no matter what it is I have written. I believe in reading, in learning, in critiquing, taking advice and in networking for better understanding. The learning helps the growth and all those who say they write I always say this: don't say you wrote what I wrote- you wrote something different entirely even if its in the same genre or subgenre. Don't take my work.

    ReplyDelete